I got to thinking as I typed away on my laptop in the middle of Christmas dinner (had to finish the year-end financials and collections, of course...): what should a true hard-core consultant resolve to do differently in 2009? Here are a few suggestions:
1) I will not cut in front of the blind guy at the TSA checkpoint (yes, we did see it).
2) I will not use up my entire per-diem to buy margaritas at the airport bar (even if they're on special)
3) I will stop snickering when the flight attendant demonstrates the seat belt buckle thing.
4) I will not get all angry and condescending when I call the IT helpdesk (yes, I know that my laptop must be turned on for it to work...)
5) I will eat more healthy food, even when traveling (just because the steak is organic, doesn't mean that a 24oz monster that's been cooked in butter is good for you)
6) I will not mutter under my breath at project status meetings
7) I will stop trying to send evil death rays from my eyeballs during project status meetings (except when it comes to the test team leader, she deserves it).
8) I will stop crying when I look at my company's stock price.
9) I will stop crying when I look at any company's stock price.
10) I will be nice to the sales people (ouch, that one hurt).